Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Son not the Sun



Having been a professional makeup artist more than a decade, I have heard the question hundreds of times: "What is your best makeup tip?' In thirteen years my #1tip has never changed! Ladies hear it is...ready? Wear your sunscreen!!!! Yep that's it. I can see the drop in your face already and hear the sigh of disappointment. I know you were hoping that I would open up my treasure chest of secrets all to help transform your look. Oh sweet girlfriends, what you don't know is that I have!!!

Wearing sunscreen on a daily basis not only prevents premature aging, but it also protects and prevents your chances of developing skin cancer. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, more than 1 million new cases of skin cancer develop every year. If that is not enough to convince you, then perhaps its time I told you that there is no magic anti aging miracle cream, no lotion potion, and no miracle drug that can correct aging skin. The number one cause of premature aging is sun exposure, so it only makes since that the number one preventative is sunscreen. Here is just some FYI for you to tuck in your back pocket when it comes to sunscreen.

1.) Look for sunscreens that block both UVA and UVB rays. To make this simple for you, think of UVA as the Aging rays, and UVB as the Burning rays.

2.) Don't be fooled by sunscreens that say SPF of 75 or 100. Nothing can block 100% of the sun's rays. UVB protection does not actually increase proportionately with a designated SPF number. For example, an SPF of 30 screens 97% t of UVB rays, whereas an SPF of 15 screens 93 % of UVB rays, and an SPF of 2 screens 50% of UVB rays. However, inadequate application of sunscreen may result in a lower SPF than the product contains, which leads to my third point.

3.) Most people only apply 25-50% of the recommended amount of sunscreen. One application is approximately 1 ounce, or enough to fill a shot glass. Make sure to cover all exposed areas thoroughly including the ears and hands. Just a little secret ladies: your face may look young, but your hands will give your real age, and I look every time. Protect them!

4.) Keep in mind there is no safe way to tan. The sun's rays do the most damage between 10AM-4PM. If your shadow is shorter than you seek shade when possible. There are plenty of way to look bronze beautiful in a safe way. I will cover that on my next post. For now I want you to focus on protecting your beautiful skin.

It is never too late to start protecting your skin.Where do you begin? I'm so glad you asked! My sunscreens of choice are:
Celazone available at http://www.amazon.com/ which is amazing for all skin types, including acne prone skin. Celazome has very few ingredients and is non irritating. It truly lasts all day. I have been a user of this product for three years.

I'm am loving the new Tropical Vanilla SPF 32 Sun Cream by Eminence http://www.eminenceorganics.com/. It has been clinically tested to increase moisture levels in the skin by 250% after one week of use. This one is a newby for me, but most definitely a keeper. I can't get enough of this product. My skin doesn't feel sucked dry after sun exposure. It is available in a face and body formula. I haven't been daring enough to try it for face yet as I'm so prone to breakout.

Are you super sunscreen sensitive?? No problem!!! Try the SPF travel powder by http://www.eminenceorganics.com/, or http://www.chantecaille.com/. Both come in a translucent color, and contain at least an SPF of 30. Keep in mind that mineral powder SPF's don't always protect as well as creams and lotions so limit your sun exposure.

Are you in need of cheap sunscreen that still protects well? My pick is good ole WaterBabies by Coppertone. The thick rich formula covers and protects the most sensitive and fairest of skin (me :)), not to mention it has the best smell. It always reminds me of summer. They also have a chubby stick I recommend for face and lips. The best thing about these two products is that they are available at just about any drugstore or supermarket on the planet.

Spotlight:

I have a question? What has burned you? I don't just mean physically, I mean what has burned you emotionally, mentally, spiritually? The husband or boyfriend that promised forever? The coworker, the parent, the child, the friend, the shopping, the martini, the magazines, the career? ...and the list goes on.

Next question, When that person or thing burned you, what position on your priority list could I find it? Was it above or below Jesus? Ouch and mega OUCH!!!
I have to tell you, as much as I don't want to, often times the people or things that burn us so bad cause such a burn because they moved up a position on the priority list. Perhaps they took number one. Check out this verse:

"Those that cling to worthless idols, forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah 2:8

I'm in no way saying that the people, or things in our lives are worthless, but I am saying I don't want us placing them as an idol above Jesus. I ask you, sunburn and all, to take what has burned you to the throne of the Son that saves. Grab your grace back and let him heal you. Sit with Jesus and reprioritize your list, making sure He is number one, and ummmmm it might be a good idea for sunscreen to be number two!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your kind words. If we can ever answer any questions about our sunscreen, please let us know. Celazome takes pride in providing quality products to our customers, so we are very happy that it has worked so well for you.

    ReplyDelete